The Official Website of the People’s Government of Hunan Province Mobile 中文 Français 한국어 日本語

15 July 2015

Home>Services>Quick Links>FAQ

[Live in China] What is a Chinese Visa?

A China visa is a permit issued by Chinese visa authorities (Chinese Embassies, Chinese Consulates, Chinese visa offices or Public Security Bureau) to non-Chinese citizens for entry into and transit through China mainland (Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR have different visa systems). Citizens of most countries are required to obtain Chinese visas before entering China mainland. After the new Chinese Immigration Law and the new Foreigner Entry-Exit Administration Regulations took into effect respectively on July 1, 2013 and Sep. 1, 2013.
There are 12 categories of ordinary China visas, which are marked with the letters C (crew visa), D (permanent residence visa), F (for persons engaged in exchanges, visits, inspections), G (transit visa), J (journalist visa), L (tourist visa), M (business visa), Q (Chinese family reunion), R (for high-level talents), S (foreign family visit), X (student visa) and Z (work visa). J, Q, S, X respectively have two subcategories, such as J1, J2, X1, X2. X1 will be issued to people for long-term study. X2 will be issued to people for short-term study. The same is true with J, Q and S visas.